09 April 2009

I Want to Write a 'Keith'

As some of you may know, I'm taking a script writing course this semester. I like it, but the current script I'm writing for my big assignment is getting tossed. I know what you're thinking - or at least I think I do from what my mom said, "But you spent all that time working on the story." While that is true, my heart's really not invested in the story. Honestly, I think I'm annoyed by my own characters. I don't know why I decided to write about a psychiatrist when I don't even like psychology.

So what sparked my sudden change of interest? Last night was my first night of Easter Break. Instead of going to bed early like I had planned, I stayed up and watched Keith. Chances are you've never heard of the movie, but you have certainly heard of the actor who plays Keith, today's birthday boy Jesse McCartney. This indie is a brilliant coming of age story about a girl who has a lot going for her whose world is shaken up by her spontaneous lab partner Keith. The movie is a nice mix of comedy, romance and drama. If you can get your hands on a copy, watch it. It's amazing. I'm really obsessed with it right now. I even read Ron Carlson's short story that the movie's based on and I have the movie score.

Keith is one of those movies I dream of writing someday. But why start someday when I can start now?

No comments: