03 May 2009

I Recommend ...

I'm spending my Sunday afternoon catching up on emails. In a recent Dazed Digital newsletter I found this article of recommendations from the band Mika Miko. I liked what I saw and thought I'd do it myself. If you have recommendations of your own, feel free to comment.

Can you recommend...

... three new bands?
1) October Nites - This Auburn-based band's about to go on tour! Check their MySpace for cities & dates.
2) BenSem - I was super-excited to see that the band has allowed fans to DL their album Western Lights for free. Check their MySpace blog for the link.
3) Plastiscines - This quartet is the first band on the new Nylon Records music label. You'll know why once you hear them.

... three old bands?
1) Limp Bizkit - Usually when I'm cramming or angry I'll throw on some LB, and Fred's vocals will drown out the rest of the world.
2) No Doubt - I'm glad the gang's back together. I missed Gwen's pre-Harajuku Girls days when she was backed by boys.
3) Maroon 5 - I'm not sure how many years constitutes an "old" band, but I'm sure Maroon 5's worn out their new car smell by now.

... a record label?
Fueled by Ramen has the most bands on their roster that I like: Gym Class Heroes, VersaEmerge, Panic at the Disco, and the list goes on ...

... a website?
MissBehave Magazine - With everything from fashion features to sex advice from Baby Sinead, this former magazine has taken what worked for them in print to a new online format and I'm loving it!

... a film?
Keith - This Walk to Remember-esque coming of age story stars Jesse McCartney. I loved it so much, I had to get the movie score.

... a book?
A Kind of Flying by Ron Carlson - What do you do when you want to read a story, but you don't have the time or energy to concentrate on a whole book? You turn to short stories! This collection is really good and it features the story that inspired the movie Keith.

... something on YouTube?
Joel Madden recently tweeted this clip from Little Britain USA. It's really funny and a total must-see, must-share.



... a radio show?
Z100 Morning Zoo - I'm a New Yorker in the tri-state area so my number one station is Z100. I love to listen to the Morning Zoo and if I can't listen to them live, I can always tune in online 24/7.

... something to do on a day off?
sleep, Twitter and catch up on email newsletters (in that order, lol)

... a song everyone should hear?
Tainted Love by Softcell - I think any song that can be covered by Marilyn Manson and the Pussycat Dolls is my favorite song of all time.

No comments: