26 July 2009

I Recommend ... End of July Edition


I'm spending another Sunday evening going through my emails so my inbox will be ready come Monday morning for another influx of newsletters and emails. It's a never-ending cycle. One of my emails is a Dazed Digital newsletter from the beginning of the month. In it, there's a link for a recommendation list from the band Passion Pit.

Back in May, I actually won a t-shirt because of the band. The WB was giving away Rockville, CA t-shirts on their Twitter. They asked what song Passion Pit was singing at the beginning of one of the Rockville, CA episodes. I quickly tweeted Sleepyhead, and the t-shirt was mine. As you can expect, I've become more interested in Passion Pit since winning the shirt.

Check out their recommendations on Dazed Digital's site and keep reading below for my end of July recommendations. Feel free to put your own recommendations in the comments.

Can you recommend ...

... three new bands/singers?
1) The Jump Offs - I somehow discovered this Hawaii-based band on Twitter. I can't wait til they hit the mainland music scene. Definitely keep your eyes and ears on 'em.
2) Caitlin Crosby - This girl basically came out of nowhere and onto my radar within a week with her album Flawz. Her voice is so raw and Generation is a powerful track!
3) Passion Pit - What? Did you think I'd just forget out the Passion Pit boys? Never!

... three old bands/singers?
1) The Cardigans - I've been hearing Lovefool everywhere this summer. Is someone trying to tell me something?
2) Nirvana - Recently I DL'd the whole Nirvana discography. Before summer's up, I plan to sit down and listen to all their albums in chronological order from beginning to end.
3) Citizen Cope - I discovered Citizen Cope after hearing his song in a car commercial four summers ago. I actually joined MySpace because of him too. He's working on an album due out next year and if you go to his website, you can DL his new track Keep Askin' for free.

... a record label?
Definitive Jux - With Cage on their roster, this label can do no wrong.

... a website?
On Location Vacations is definitely a go-to site when you want to know where TV shows and movies are filming. That's how I knew where Rob Pattinson was filming Remember Me last week. Although I kept missing him by mere minutes, I was definitely in the right place.

... a film?
A few weeks ago my friends and I went to see The Proposal. Sandra Bullock and Betty White are hilarious, and I like that Ryan Reynolds is able to say so much in a scene without saying anything at all. It's all in the eyes.

... a book?
I've been reading A Little Bit Wicked by Kristin Chenoweth since last week and I'm loving it! It's a great summer read.

... something on YouTube?
If you've been following my So You Think You Dance recaps, you should remember that Jeanine & Jason's contemporary routine by season 2 alum Travis Wall was my favorite dance 2 weeks ago. In case you missed it, here it is.



... a radio show?
Viva-Radio - There's always something good to listen to on the 24/7 online station.

... something to do on a day off?
Watch Dew Tour! I'm really not a sports person, except for when it comes to extreme sports. Although I can't skate or surf or ride a motorbike or bicycle, just watching the athletes compete is definitely a rush.

... somewhere to eat?
If you're ever "45 minutes from Broadway" as the George M. Cohan song goes, you'll find yourself in my hometown of New Rochelle, NY. New Ro has some great places to eat, especially on Division Street. One of my favorite places to go is Kaffeine Espresso Bar. When you want to cool off this summer, be sure to get yourself a Summer Breeze (strawberries, banana, honey and soy milk) as you soak up some rays on the back patio.

... a song everyone should hear?
Paradiso Girls - Petron Tequila
As my friends and I are turning 21 this year, I find this song highly appropriate.

No comments: