12 September 2009

Fashion Forward: Spotting Spring '10 Trends

New York Fashion Week is well under way. This season is the show's last week at the tents in Bryant Park. The fall shows will be held at Lincoln Center next year.

For the past three days, I've been flipping through runway slideshows. Take note of the trends I've already spotted.

1) Solid Graphic Blocks

Last night as I combed through the Spring 2010 shows, one trend jumped out at me immediately - the artsy juxtaposition of solids and graphics on dresses.


(left to right: BCBG Max Azria, L.A.M.B., Nicole Miller)


2) Dynamite Denim

Denim is definitely a style staple, but it's anything but basic. At Elie Tahari it was bejeweled, at William Rast it was zippered and leggings-like, and at LAMB it was acid washed.


(left to right: Elie Tahari, William Rast, L.A.M.B.)


3) No Frills, Just Bows

I'm kind of hoping a giant bow finds it's way into Sex and the City 2 à la that giant flower dress in the first movie. Patricia Field, I hope you're reading this.


(left to right: Monique Lhuillier, Prabal Gurung


4) Women at Work

There were a number of blazers on the runway. Maybe I'll find one I like next year. I'm definitely going to need one for work once I graduate in May.


(left to right: William Rast, L.A.M.B., Organic by John Patrick)


5) Radiant Ruffles

If you want to be dramatic without the drama, wear ruffles. My favorite of these three is Christian Siriano's. My jaw dropped when his boyfriend, Brad Walsh, TwitPic'ed it live from the show. Sessilee looks amazing in it!


(left to right: Jason Wu, Christian Siriano, Ruffian)


6) Don't Sweat It

I was surprised to see that sweatpants found their way into some shows this season. Of course, I'm not sure how functional they'll be at the gym, but they'll definitely be fashionable!


(left to right: Elie Tahari, L.A.M.B.)


7) Dramatic Draping

Draping isn't for everyone, but if you can pull it off, please do.


(left to right: Monique Lhuillier, Ports 1961, Wayne)


8) Gritty Graphics

I feel like these graphics are a bit more fall than spring, but I don't mind the extra edge amongst a field of flowers.


(left to right: Juan Carlos Obando, Monique Lhuillier, L.A.M.B., Vena Cava)


9) More Midriff

I must start doing some crunches and sit-ups. If I'm going to be wearing midriffs next year, I've got to have the six-pack to go along with them.


(left to right: Jenni Kayne, Erin Wasson, Cushnie et Ochs)


10) No Tears for Tiers

Tiers came in all shapes, sizes and textures this runway season. Of these four looks, I think the look from Richard Chai is more my style.


(left to right: Cynthia Steffe, Monique Lhuillier, Luca Luca, Richard Chai)


11) Sheer Sensibility

There were so many sheer looks on the runway this year. This trend's just another reason for me to work out. If clothes are going to be see-through, what people see better look good.


(left to right: Cushnie et Ochs, Helmut Lang, Wayne)



(left to right: Charlotte Ronson, Vena Cava, VPL)


12) Sassy Haircuts

Last December I cut over six inches off my hair after seeing Lily Allen's bob in Nylon. Then in May, I got a shaggy layered cut. I'm not going to cut my hair again for now, but when I do, I may opt for one of these looks.


(left to right: Daul Kim at Erin Wasson, Kelly Kopen at Wayne, Tao Okamoto at Yigal Azrouël, Sacha Blue at Lyn Devon)


(all photos from style.com except the one of Sessilee at Christian Siriano from nymag.com)

No comments: