13 September 2009

Sunday Sounds: GRAE's VMA Picks



Last month I voted for the VMA winners. Tonight I'll know if everyone agrees with me.

Best Female Video: Katy Perry - Hot n Cold

A runaway groom chased by brides on bikes - epic. How can a video showcasing Katy doing the running man not win?



Best Male Video: T.I. ft. Rihanna - Live Your Life

I love the raw storyline in this video. I wish T.I. was able to go to the show.



Best Hip-Hop Video: Eminem - We Made You

Relapse may not have been Em's best album, but this video is strictly classic Eminem. The celeb impersonators for Palin and Lindsay had me doing double takes.



Best Pop Video: Cobra Starship ft. Leighton Meester - Good Girls Go Bad

Whoever thought to put a Gossip Girl on this track is a genius! If it wasn't for Ms. Meester, I probably would have ignored it. I love the whole underground gambling ring. Makes you wonder what's going on in the basement at the corner deli.



Best Rock Video: Paramore - Decode

I'm a huge Paramore fan. Twilight, not so much, but splicing the movie clips in this vid is a good way to get Twi-hards to vote for a band that deserves a moonman.



Best New Artist: Lady GaGa - Poker Face

There's no doubt that this is the Year of GaGa. I've been a fan of this lady way before your mom had one of her songs as her ringtone. I really hope she gets a moonman tonight. She definitely deserves to be rewarded for all the creativity that goes into the GaGa video collection.



Best Breakthrough Video: Passion Pit - The Reeling

I couldn't let my Passion Pit boys down. Of course I voted for them. I can only imagine the time it took to create this video. The finished product is so artsy. Just brilliant.



Video of the Year: Beyoncé - Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)

Only Beyoncé could release a video and have people still donning leotards and creating their own parodies one year later. Go girl!



Best Video (That Should Have Won a Moonman): Björk - Human Behaviour

This video came out in 1993 when I was five. If I had seen it then, I would have wanted it to win a moonman. At 21 I've seen it and want it to win a moonman. Plus I want to see what Björk is wearing. Spacesuit anyone?

No comments: