27 December 2009

Sunday Sounds: Of the Aughts

This Thursday's the aughts are coming to a close so "Best of the Decade" lists are popping up everywhere. I spent three hours on Christmas night coming up with a list of my top 100 songs of the decade. Then last night I decided that was a waste of three hours and I didn't like the list. So I've stayed up all night to revise it.

Now let's relive the aughts through music.

Amerie - 1 Thing
Of all the R&B songstresses, Amerie's my favorite. Her voice just has this rough quality to it that I love. As old as this track is, I never tire of it.



Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good
I know everyone loves Rehab, but the first song I heard from Amy was You Know I'm No Good. The retro throwback vibe works perfectly with the sassiness of this track.




Avril's best album in my book.


Avril Lavigne - Complicated
When I was 13 I was waist-deep in boy bands and pop princesses and was growing tired of it. Then along came Avril with her tomboy "don't give a fuck" attitude and I was hooked. I remember when I bought Let Go at the Wiz (I miss the Wiz - R.I.P.) and played it in the car on the trip back home, my mom asked if I had bought the right CD. The first chords of Losing Grip reassured me that this was a good buy and I replied, "Yes." When I find myself listening to Avril's debut record, this is definitely my go-to track.



Beyoncé - Crazy in Love ft. Jay-Z
Of all Beyoncé's songs this is my favorite. Recently I learned that this song is about her falling in love with Jay. So sweet. I get goosebumps when I hear it.



Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
Oh BEP - so many songs in this decade, it's hard to keep up. Of all their hits I think this is the track that resonates with people the most. It's easy to see why. Not everyone would think of rhyming "mazel tov" with "take it off."



Bon Jovi - It's My Life
For years I thought the opening line of this song was "This is a song for the lonely hotties." I don't know where I got that from either. I like Bon Jovi's lyrics way better than mine.



Britney Speas - Unusual You
You probably thought I was going to choose Toxic as my fave Britney track, didn't you? Right now if you look on my last.fm profile you'll see that this song's been my most played track for the year. It's almost hard to believe that the same girl who sings Baby One More Time sings this too.




Cage and Shia on the set of the I Never Knew You video.


Cage - I Never Knew You
I have Shia LaBeouf to thank for turning me on ... to Cage's music. (What did you think I was going to say?) If he hadn't directed this music video I probably would have never heard this hauntingly beautiful song I've been in love with since this summer.



Christina Aguilera - Beautiful
Although everyone knew Christina could sing, this song really showed that she was a serious artist. Good message. Good video. Good song.



Citizen Cope - Bullet and a Target
A few years ago I heard Citizen Cope's Son's Gonna Rise in a commercial and I've been a fan ever since. It's actually because of him I have a MySpace. (I wanted to be "friends" with him, lol.) I've always just loved the stories in this song. So true to life.



Corinne Bailey Rae - Like a Star
This song just embodies being in love so well.



Duffy - Stepping Stone
I know everyone loves Mercy, but I actually like Stepping Stone more. It's just a great "don't use me" song.



Eminem - Superman
Before this song, I had never heard the word unfurl. See Eminem isn't bad. He broadens my vocabulary.



Evanescence - Going Under
Before vampires were the obsession du jour, Evanescence featured some in their music video for Going Under. Unlike the current music videos with vampires, this track sounds perfect for doing so.



Fall Out Boy - Dance, Dance
When I first heard this song my senior year of high school I was instantly obsessed. It was my theme song for the rest of the school year. A cool thing about the video is that it was actually filmed at one of the Catholic high school's in my hometown. If only I had known. Maybe I could have seen Pete and the boys before they became household names.




Seeing as I'm Scottish, I feel it is my duty to adore this band.


Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
When this song came out there wasn't anything that sounded remotely like it and I loved it. Still do.



Gavin DeGraw - I Don't Wanna Be
Who hasn't sung along with the One Tree Hill theme song at some point in their life? It's just so relatable. Why would you want to be something you're not?



Guster - Satellite
This song was featured in an episode of my favorite never-renewed-after-eight-episodes series, Hidden Palms. I miss that show. I love this song.



Gym Class Heroes - Viva La White Girl
I remember listening to As Cruel As School Children for the first time. When I got to this track it was like the world had stopped for three minutes, fifty-three seconds. This song really made me a fan of the GCH boys.



Jason Mraz - On Love, In Sadness
This song is as lively as Jason. I like to believe that even when he's sad he's able to walk around with a smile on his face like he doesn't have a care in the world. (Sidenote: heavy breathing at the end of the track = very sexy)



Johnny Cash - Hurt
My godmother's a huge country music fan and Johnny Cash is one of her favorites. This is actually the first song that comes to mind when I think about him. I was shocked to learn recently that this song's actually a cover of a Trent Reznor song. I would never have guessed it seeing as it sounds like he wrote it after June died.



John Mayer - I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)
Continuum was such a great album for John. It really showed he had grown up and was here to stay. This song in particular really resonated with me.



Justin Timberlake - LoveStoned
Justin Timberlake is my favorite artist of all time. It's almost hard to believe at the beginning of this decade I really didn't like him. Now what's funnier is that LoveStoned is my favorite JT song, but I hate the video. And it all comes full circle ...



Kanye West - Flashing Lights
I will always choose this song over Gold Digger, Stronger and Heartless. I can't explain it.



Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl
When I first heard this song last year I was instantly hooked and it was only natural. For years I had worn cherry Chapstick. Just kidding. (Not really.)



Kelly Clarkson - Addicted
On the same album that gave us Since You've Been Gone was a little-known power ballad called Addicted. Kelly's vocals on this show exactly why I voted for her on American Idol.



Kings of Leon - Use Somebody
For years I thought Kings of Leon was a British band. Then I read about them in Rolling Stone and realized they're very American. I'm so glad that the US is finally paying attention to these guys. They're one of the best bands out there right now.



Lady GaGa - Beautiful, Dirty, Rich
I've been listening to GaGa since before she became a huge chart topper with Just Dance, and this song was always one of my favorites off her first album.



Lily Allen - Smile
This song picks up where 90s Spice Girls' girl power left off with a couple more f-bombs.



Los Lonely Boys - Heaven
This song brought Tejano-rock to the masses. Somebody had to do it. Why not this trio?



M.I.A. - Paper Planes
I was a huge fan of M.I.A. before some genius put this song in the Pineapple Express trailer. I'm so glad everyone knows who she is now. I was tired of the confused looks when I used to say, "I love M.I.A."



Maroon 5 - Harder to Breathe
I knew as soon as I heard Harder to Breathe that this band was going to be a huge hit. Their debut record is a cool blend of R&B-tinged rock and I love it from beginning to end.



Mute Math - You Are Mine
Although the audio for this track is set to clips from Twilight, I actually first heard it in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2. Most people don't know who Mute Math is. You can actually hear their other track Spotlight in Twilight - specifically the scene when Edward takes Bella to school in Ray Bans as the whole student body looks on in disbelief and envy.



Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten
Natasha has one of the best voices out there. I'll never forget seeing her perform this live, not only because I recorded it, but because she's amazing.




Teen no more, this was the start of JT's sexy years.


NSYNC - Gone
This song has staying power. I know that. Justin knows it and continued to play it on his last tour to give NSYNC fans a little thrill.



Panic! at the Disco - But It's Better If You Do
I love Panic! and their crazy-storied songs and videos. I'm so glad they brought back the "!" - I really missed it.



Paramore - Ignorance
It's hard to believe that Paramore almost broke up, but it's true. This is the first track that they actually recorded after they had a heart-to-heart and decided to stay together. On it they sound more like a band and less like "Hayley and those other guys." It'll forever be known as the song that saved Paramore.



Peter Bjorn and John - Young Folks
Whoever did the whistling in this song has mad whistle skills. It took me forever to relearn how to whistle when I got my braces taken off so I know it's tough work. More power to them.



P!nk - Family Portrait
P!nk's had so many hits and many people don't really remember this song. I do. For me this song is what really made me a fan. The emotional content and vocals are brilliant.



Pussycat Dolls - Don't Cha
Til this day when this song comes on every girl is a Pussycat Doll for four minutes, forty-three seconds.



Rihanna - Umbrella
I never tire of hearing about Rihanna's "umbrella-ella-ella." I loved how RiRi changed her image with her third album and showed she wasn't just another cookie-cutter pop star.



Robi Draco Rosa - Come Me Acuerdo
When I was in high school I heard this song on the radio and it took me years to find out who sang it. It's my favorite track off of Robi's Mad Love album. (Trivia: Robi wrote Livin' La Vida Loca.)




Robin Thicke, then and now


Robin Thicke - When I Get You Alone
Before Pharell took him under his wing, Robin was a long-haired, barefooted man who went solely by Thicke. His evolution to sexpot status was definitely not expected at the beginning of the decade. When I Get You Alone is just one of the grooviest tracks to come out of the early aughts.



Sam Sparro - Black & Gold
When this song came out last year I liked it. Then I became reacquainted with it during a So You Think You Can Dance routine a few months ago. Now I love it. Such a great song.



Santigold - Creator
This song is so exciting and makes me want to go out and create something.




Sisqo - Thong Song
You're probably wondering why this song's on my list. Any song that's good enough to be covered by Matthew Morrison on Glee is alright with me. Plus as a die hard Vicky S patron, I feel that this song led to a surge in the sales of thongs. I wonder if there's any truth to that. Does anyone have any data to back up my claims?



Shakira - Hips Don't Lie
I've loved Shakira since she was a redhead singing Tu. You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you? Anyway, this song is totally Shakira's theme song. Her hips definitely do not lie.



T.I. - Live Your Life ft. Rihanna
Ever have a bad day and a song puts you back in good spirits? This is one of those songs.



The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name
Since no one ever says my name correctly, this is my theme song. And just for the record my name's pronounced "Shar-ee" not "Sherry" or "Sherly."



Timbaland - The Way I Are ft. Keri Hilson, Sebastian and D.O.E.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a stickler for proper grammar, but this track's memorable enough for me to forget about its grammatically incorrect title.




Go Karen O!


Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Date With The Night
One of my friends was obsessed with this band. Based on this song, you'll see why.



So that's my list that took five hours to revise. Now I want to hear what your favorite tracks are. Comment please.

No comments: