20 March 2010

Ranting As I Vote for the Kids' Choice Awards

The Kid's Choice Awards are 7 days away. I love to rock the vote so of course I had to participate. As I voted a number of things stood out to me. My rant may be long, but you'll love it.

The first thing I voted for was Favorite Couple. As I looked through the four nominees I suddenly had "one of these things is not like the other" playing in my head.

So that's Twilight couple, Twilight couple, Avatar couple, THE OBAMAS! Kids know the Obamas aren't movie characters right? RIGHT? Anyway, Obamas FTW!

Next up was fave TV show. The nominees are iCarly, Sonny with a Chance, The Suite Life on Deck and Wizards of Waverly Place. None are shows I watch, however, I love Selena Gomez and Wizards got my vote.

The TV actor category was a brotherly affair. The Sprouse twins were both nominated as were two of the Jonas brothers - Joe and Nick. Poor Kevin. Of course I voted for Joe because Kevin has a new wife, Nick has a new album and he's got ... great ... um, hair.

For TV actress there were the usual suspects - Miranda Cosgrove, Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez - so I voted for Keke Palmer because I feel she's often overlooked in Young Hollywood. She has great personality and acting chops. She totally deserves to win.

I love the Music Group category -- Black Eyed Peas, Coldplay, Jonas Brothers, Linkin Park. Do kids really know who Coldplay and Linkin Park are? Really? I also noticed that they tried to make up for KevJo's lack of a nom in the TV actor category by making him the face of the JoBros in this one. Good PR person. And yes I voted for BEP.



Will Taylor Swift winning streak continue at the Kid's Choice Awards? I hope not. She's been nominated for Female Singer alongside her fairy godmother Beyoncé, fellow singer/actress Miley Cyrus and the one whom she steals every award from -- Lady GaGa. You know I went with GaGa on this one. Do you even have to ask.

For Male Singer I was a bit surprised by the nominees - Jay-Z, Sean Kingston, Mario and Ne-Yo. Since when is Jay-Z for kids? Empire State of Mind's his only kid-friendly song. Unless ... you're going to love this ... unless they nominated him because he mentions the JoBros in On to the Next One. Why are Mario and Ne-Yo nominated? And where's pop wonderkid Justin Bieber. Does the KCA Academy not have Bieber fever? I hope one of the songs on his new record mentions the Jonas Brothers. Of course I went with Jay-Z on this one. He's the only one of the nominees whose songs I can actually remember hearing.



Top 40 hits I Gotta Feeling, Paparazzi, Party in the USA and You Belong with Me are all nominated for fave Song. I had to go with I Gotta Feeling because it's that one track that we just can't stop singing ... plus it teaches us things ... for instance, if it's too hot when you're dancing "just take it ... off." What a good lesson for kids to learn.

The fave Movie category is made up of blockbusters -- Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Twilight Saga: New Moon and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. (Um, was a ":" required for all nominees?) While I haven't seen any of them (of course), I do have the soundtrack for three. Since I don't have the one for Wolverine and I can't think about Hugh Jackman without picturing him giving Barbara Walters a lap dance, I went with that one.

The fave Movie Actor category is actually really good - Zac Efron, Taylor Lautner, Shia LaBeouf and Tyler Perry. I was surprised seeing Tyler in the category, but then again I'm sure him as Madea is for this generation what Robin Williams as Mrs. Doubtfire was for mine. I actually voted for Zac Efron. You know I love my Shia, but after seeing Zac take the lead in 17 Again (which all my Facebook friends seem to have been watching and loving in the past 2 weeks), I'm starting to have a new liking for him. Stay away from musicals for now Zac and you're sure to be remembered as more than just a song and dance man.

For fave Movie Actress we have Sandra Bullock, Miley Cyrus, Megan Fox and Zoe Saldaña. You know I went with Sandy after all this craziness that's gone down this week about her marriage. Stay strong Sandy! Love you.

The fave Cartoon category is made up of The Penguins of Madagascar, Phineus and Ferb, The Simpsons and Spongebob Squarepants. What the hell are Penguins and Phineus? I can't stand Spongebob! I voted for The Simpsons in case you didn't get that from my ranting.

In the Reality Show category we have American Idol, Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader, So You Think You Can Dance and Wipeout. I don't watch Idol. I've seen Are You Smarter a few times, but that's about it. I saw Wipeout once and the contestants are hilarious. I recall a woman getting all excited and hooting and hollering as she ran to the start of one of the courses and taking a tumble before she even got there. It was so epic! I'm hooked on So You Think You Can Dance so that's where my vote went.

For fave Female Athlete we have Danica Patrick, Misty May Treanor and the Williams sisters. I love Venus and Serena, but I'll choose beach volleyball over tennis any day. Misty May, you have my heart and my vote.

The fave Male Athlete category's just awesome - two basketball greats versus two skateboarding (and in the case of one of them, snowboarding) greats. Here we have Kobe, Lebron, Sheckler and the Animal formerly known as Shaun White. Hot. Sheckler's kind of been off my radar since he got injured last summer at the X-Games, so of course I went with the gold-medal-winning-double-McTwisting redhead.



For fave Video Game we have The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Mario Kart, WII Fit, and WII Sports Resort. I haven't been much of a gamer since middle school, but if I were to get any system right now it would have to be a WII, and I'd totally buy WII Fit to go along with it.

Do kids still read? Apparently. In the fave Book category the nominees are Diary of a Wimpy Kid series (isn't that a movie now), Twilight series, Vampire Diaries series, and Where the Sidewalk Ends. I love Shel Silverstein's books so Where the Sidewalk Ends got my vote. Now I can't help but wonder if they're going to turn any of his crazy poems into a movie.



For Animated Movie A Christmas Carol, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, Monsters vs Aliens, and Up are all nominated. Another movie category with no movies I have seen. A lot of my friends saw Up and loved it so I went with that one.

Our last category (finally!) is for Voice from an Animated Movie. We have Jim Carrey, Seth Rogen, Ray Romano and Reese Witherspoon. I have no idea what Seth Rogen voiced (apparently something in Monsters vs Aliens), but I loved him in Funny People so he gets my vote!

Thank you for voting with me. If you would like to rock the vote yourself, head on over to nick.com/kca now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phineas and ferb and penguins are the 2nd and 3rd most popular kid cartoons on television

Grae said...

Really? I had no idea. I guess I didn't know that since I'm not a kid and don't have any siblings, lol.