26 April 2010

M.I.A.'s "Born Free" Video Blasts Us Away


Which jolted me awake more this morning: my X-Large Dunkaccino or M.I.A.'s new video for Born Free? If you guessed the latter, you'd be correct.

I've been a fan of M.I.A. since her first album Arular dropped in '05. After getting some well-deserved recognition for Paper Planes off her hit 2007 album Kala, M.I.A. is back with new music just in time for the summer.

The video for her new track Born Free is not for those who can't sit through hard-core, violent films. It features a guerilla army (or maybe a corrupted national army) attacking various groups of people. The last half of the video focuses on the army attacking a group of young boys.


Much of M.I.A.'s music is politically driven so this is not surprising to those of us who have followed her over the years. If you want to watch, click either of the photos above. If your stomach felt queasy after reading my plot description, don't.

No comments: