14 April 2010

Why the F Did I Stop Dancing?

As you guys should know by now, I love dance. What you may not know is that I used to take dance lessons. Then I quit. Stupid, stupid me.



When I was young my mom put me in ballet. I loved it ... at first. After a term and a half I grew bored of doing the same old routines over and over again. I wanted to learn something new, specifically how to go en pointe. After a lot of practice I somehow taught myself how to do it.

When I tried to go en pointe in class, my teacher would yell at me. Understandable? Yes, she didn't want me to get injured. Fair to a five-year-old? No, she was stopping me from advancing my "dance skills." So what was a girl to do but quit after a term and a half.

When I watch dance videos I regret quitting about 99.9% of the time. Watching this Macy's Stars of Dance piece choreographed by So You Think You Can Dance alum Travis Wall, I couldn't help but wonder if I could have been one of the dancers in the number if I hadn't quit ballet.

Maybe when I find the time (and money) I'll return to dance. It's never too late ... right?

No comments: