23 June 2010

Grae's Guide to Summer 2010 :: The Vibe

It's rare for you to find me without headphones turned up high destroying my eardrums. Here are the albums you're sure to hear me blasting over the next couple of months.

Travie McCoy - Lazarus

Plain and simple, from beginning to end this album just sounds like summer.


- Fave track: Superbad (11:34)

Drake - Thank Me Later

The most-awaited album from my fave Canadian import (sorry Biebs) is finally here! After going platinum in his native country and selling 462,989 copies in the US its first week out, I'm sure there are thousands who'd love to thank Drake now, including myself. (Look for my album review soon.)


- Fave track: Light Up ft. Jay-Z

Kelis - Fleshtone

Her milkshakes may have come and gone, but Kelis is definitely still the boss with this trancey, electro-pop release.


- Fave track: 4th of July (Fireworks)

Eminem - Recovery

Not since his 8 Mile days has Em sounded this good. Glad to have him back. (Look for my full review over on Pink and Black soon.)


- Fave track: Talkin' 2 Myself

VersaEmerge - Fixed at Zero

I've been awaiting this Fueled by Ramen band's full album ever since I first heard their self-titled EP.


- Fave track: Fixed at Zero

Ryan Star - 11:59

I'm so excited that Ryan's finally releasing his album the week of my birthday. This just makes turning 22 extra special.


- Fave track: (Not sure of the tracklist yet, but if it includes the songs from the Last Train Home EP, I'm going with This Could Be the Year.)

Christina Aguilera - Bionic

I really think this album should have been a two-disc á la Beyoncé's I Am ... Sasha Fierce. Anyways, Christina still has a dynamite voice, and I love hearing it.


Fave track - I Am

Maroon 5 - Hands All Over

The only thing I've heard from Maroon 5's new album is the new single Misery. I'm not really feeling it right now, but I'm sure by the end of the summer I'll be all over it (and Adam Levine).


Fave track - (we'll see)

3Oh!3 - Streets of Gold

So far I'm loving every track that's leaked from the album so I'm sure this will be my guilty pleasure.


Fave track - First Kiss ft. Ke$ha

Katy Perry - Teenage Dream

I'm loving Katy's whole Smurfette transformation for this album. It's fun and totally what summer's all about.


Fave track - California Gurls

Miley Cyrus - Can't Be Tamed

Miss Miley's trying to shed her good girl image about as fast as she seems to be shedding her clothes these days. I guess lyrics like, "but don't call me a Lolita because I'm not letting them through" will do the trick.


Fave track - (still thinking about it)

Mike Posner - 31 Minutes to Takeoff

I am super-exicted for Mike's new album. I'm so glad Cooler Than Me has taken off like it has. That's one track that will definitely keep me moving this summer.


Fave track - Cooler Than Me

Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives

Somehow I didn't know these two were working on an album until it was released. When rap and reggae unite, the result is powerful.


Fave track - As We Enter

Ellie Goulding - Lights

Technically this album came out in winter, but I'm still listening to it. That's just shows how awesome it is. Ellie's sound is different from anything else out right now. It's a shame her album's only out in the UK, but if you really want it, hit up your friends studying abroad in Europe.


Fave track - Under the Sheets

Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid

Janelle is such a talented artist. It still amazes me that she can sound so old school, yet so modern and futuristic at the same time. This is definitely a must-get if you're looking for something unique.


Fave track - Tightrope

Uffie - Sex Dreams and Denim Jeans

I recently read an interview where M.I.A. said Ke$ha's just copying Uffie. I totally get what she means. After listening to Uffie's latest a couple of times, I'm starting to wonder myself.


Fave track - Pop the Glock

No comments: