10 September 2010

Spring '11 Fashion Week: Day One

In case you didn't get the memo/text/tweet: FASHION WEEK IS UPON US IN NEW YORK! You know what that means, for the next week I'll be online till the wee hours of the a.m. checking out the collections.

This season the shows have finally made their move from Midtown's Bryant Park to the Upper West Side's Lincoln Center. I won't divulge anymore about the venue upgrade since every NYC-based media outlet's covering that. Just turn on your TV, read the paper, and go online. You'll see what I mean. I'd rather tell you about my favorite looks, models that caught my eye, and trends I've spotted.

Day one of the Spring '11 shows included a lot of my favorite designers' collections including Christian Siriano, Cushnie et Ochs, and Vena Cava. Even though it's only the first day, I've already spotted trends! There's a lot of color going on next spring. I've also seen tons of graphic prints worn together. As for the silhouettes, many pieces have a '70s bohemian feel to them. Much of the clothing's unstructured with draping and free-flowing fabrics. The only thing that's really keeping them from overwhelming the models is a belt or jacket cinching the voluminous garments at the waist. So is the body-con look so many of us have finally grown accustomed to gone forever? Well we have 7 days left of shows to find out!

In no particular order, here are my top 6 looks from Thursday's shows:

1) Bensoni - Although the shirt's bright yellow, it's simple and doesn't take away from the detailing in the skirt.



2) Sachin + Babi - The cut of the trousers totally has that '70s vibe I was talking about. Just watch some That 70s Show reruns and you'll see what I mean.



3) Jen Kao - I love that this whole look isn't all about the volume. The top is fitted, while the bottom has various pieces of fabric floating about.



4) Nicholas K - I can totally see remnants of the Fall '10 utilitarian look. This piece in particular reminds me of something Janet Jackson would wear in her videos.



5) Vena Cava - This grey paired with this blue caught my eye instantly! (Flash forward to me wearing blue and grey 24/7 in the spring.)



6) Christian Siriano - Christian loves dramatic clothing, and this totally fits that aesthetic. If I was an editor-in-chief, this would totally be on the cover of my magazine. Anna, are you listening?



(All photos from style.com)

No comments: