01 September 2010

Voting for the VMAs

It's way too hot in New York to do anything extremely productive right now, but I attempted to when I voted for the MTV VMAs last night. Then I found out the only category I could vote for was Best New Artist. I thought voting went on till like the day before the show? I blame this heat for my confusion.


Anyway, here's who I chose for Best New Artist and who I hope wins the other categories.

Best New Artist

Justin Bieber - Baby ft. Ludacris
I know, I know. Probably should have chosen Nicki Minaj's Massive Attack, but Biebs' pool table roll is epic. I'm still talking about it!



Best Collaboration

Lady GaGa - Telephone ft. Beyoncé
I love this video! So much production and thought went into this. It definitely deserves a moonman.



Best Dance Music Video

Usher - OMG ft. will.i.am
Usher really made a comeback this year. This is still my fave song off Raymond vs Raymond. You cannot not dance when you hear this one.



Best Female Video

Lady GaGa - Bad Romance
Bath Haus of GaGa, all the Alexander McQueen a girl could want, and circle eyes! How can this video not win?



Best Hip Hop Video

Eminem - Not Afraid
Powerful song. Powerful video.



Best Male Video

Drake - Find Your Love
Filmed in Jamaica. I'm part Jamaican. It stars Drake. I love Drake. Are you catching on?



Best Pop Video

B.o.B - Nothin' On You ft. Bruno Mars
The hook of this song is so catchy, as is the video.



Best Rock Video

Florence + the Machine - Dog Days Are Over
This video's a nice mix of 60s, tribal, and dream world.



Video of the Year

Lady GaGa - Telephone ft. Beyoncé
Nine minutes of storyline, dancing, crazy costumes, and more product placements than a commercial break. This video will definitely go down as the best video of 2010!



Best Art Direction

Lady GaGa - Bad Romance
Charles Infante did a great job with this video and deserves the accolades.



Best Choreography

Janelle Monáe - Tightrope ft. Big Boi
I love that Janelle did her own choreography. No wonder it looks so natural. Of course the Memphis Jookin Community helped out too. Nice work all around.



Best Cinemetography

Mumford and Sons - Little Lion Man
I'm sure this is the last video you'd expect to win a category with videos from Eminem, Jay-Z, and Lady GaGa. I must say there's something really endearing about the way Ben Magahy filmed this. Have a look and hopefully you'll feel the same.



Best Direction

P!nk - Funhouse
Dave Myers and P!nk go together like, well, Dave Myers and P!nk. I love this video. I'm actually surprised it wasn't in the Best Female category. Let's hope it wins here.



Best Editing

Rihanna - Rude Boy
The editing on this is really good. Clark Eddy really found some great little gems like RiRi looking down that dude's pants. Did anyone else see that?



Best Special Effects

Dan Black - Symphonies
Corinne Bance and Axel D'Harcourt did a great job with the special effects. Their work really takes the movie genre exploration to a whole 'nother lever.



Breakthrough Video

The Black Keys - Tighten Up
I saw this video for the first time last night and wished I had seen it sooner. The kids are hilarious and perfectly cast. I love when the Bieber-in-the-making says, "But he smells like Ranch dressing!" So using that one to get out of hanging out with people from now on. This video also reminds me not to get involved with kid fights on a playground if I don't want to get hit.



And there you have it, my picks for the 2010 VMAs. Make sure you watch it on September 12 at 9pm to see if I was right or suffering from heat exhaustion while picking the winners.

No comments: