31 December 2010

Behold the 2010 GRAE Awards!

As each year comes to a close I sit down with my trusty laptop for hours in the middle of the night to make some witty comments about the year's pop culture news that was drilled into our heads. This year I thought I'd do something different. I want to do an award show! Hey if James Franco can co-host the Oscars with Anne Hathaway, I can host the GRAE Awards. Now picture me in this Donna Karan dress and keep reading ...


GRAE Awards



MUSIC

Best Newcomer Male:
Bruno Mars
Going from that guy who sings that catchy hook to having 7 well-deserved Grammy nominations is epic. Not only is Bruno a singer, he's a songwriter and producer too! You know I love my triple-threats. I can't wait for Grammy night!

Best Newcomer Female:
Nicki Minaj
Girlfriend came and took over every track she was on! I can't even recite any other verse in Monster. I just know hers by heart. You know Nicki's just going to keep killing it next year.

Best Band:
The Black Keys
I didn't know about The Black Keys until they were nominated for a VMA. Their song Tighten Up is one of the best tracks of the year! Add their album Brothers to your iPod before 2011 rolls in.





Best Singer-Songwriter:
Lissie
Lissie's song In Sleep is that song you'll find yourself going back to time and time again. I know I do. Her debut album has been getting a lot of buzz. Catch her on tour next year!

Darn Catchy Tune:
Justin Bieber - Baby
Don't act like you don't know how it goes. Sing it with me, "And I was like baby, baby, baby, ohh, like baby, baby, baby, noo, like baby, baby, baby, noo, I thought you'd always be mine, mine."

Best Comeback Track:
Usher - OMG
Love in this Club was hot for a minute, but Usher really brought the sexy back with OMG. Any man who can sing, "honey got a booty like pow, pow, pow" with a straight face deserves an award in my book.

Best Summer Jam:
Mike Posner - Cooler Than Me
Mike Posner is smooth! All of us fell for him as soon as he sang, "If I could write you a song to make you fall in love." Cooler Than Me was the track you could not get away from this summer. Posner knows what he's doing to us, and I like it!





Album of the Year
Drake - Thank Me Later
Thank Me Later was one of the most anticipated releases of the year as soon as the ink was dry on Drizzy's record contract. Although Drake has admitted that the album was a little rushed, you could never tell with his introspective lyrics and epic one-liners like "oh you fancy huh?"

Song of the Year:
Travie McCoy ft. Bruno Mars - Billionaire
Now I know some of you may disagree with me about this being the top track of the year, but as a recent college grad "I just want to be a billionaire so fuckin' bad." Student loans suck!

Artist of the Year:
Eminem
It's great when an artist can admit that they dropped the ball on their prior album. Em did just that on Recovery while pouring out his heart about finding his way again in music and life. He's truly an inspiration.

MUSIC VIDEOS

Epic Video Moment:
Justin Bieber - Baby
Did Biebs have to roll across the pool table? No. Did he do it anyway? Yes, and I'm still talking about it 10 months later.


Best Choreography:
Ciara - Gimmie Dat
MTV Buzzworthy said it best, "There's some zero-gravity choreography that's pretty much a combination of (as Idolator points out) Janet Jackson's 'Rhythm Nation' and (as I am pointing out) Joseph Gordon-Levitt in 'Inception.'" I couldn't have said it any better myself!

Best Video Cameo:
Chad Michael Murray in Alicia Keys' Unthinkable
Chad was PERFECT for this video. Whoever cast him deserves their own award.





Best Music Video Film:
Kanye West - Runaway
For weeks leading up to the big debut of Runaway I kept hearing how great it was. When I finally saw it, I wasn't disappointed. 'Ye really needs to be commended more for his artistic genius. He takes risks and makes it work!

Collab Video of the Year:
Lady GaGa - Telephone ft. Beyoncé
There's nothing I love more than girls playing badass characters in videos. GaGa and Bey do just that in Telephone. The storyline is epic, and I can't wait for part 2 of GaGa and Honey Bee's adventures.


Video of the Year:
30 Seconds to Mars - Hurricane
Although Hurricane debuted only a few weeks ago, it's my fave vid of the year. It's sexy, provocative, dangerous, rocking, and has a storyline and Jared Leto's washboard abs! All the elements of a brilliant video in my book!

TV

Best Entertainment News Show:
TMZ on TV
It doesn't bother me if I miss the news or entertainment shows like Extra, however I get mad if I have to miss TMZ on TV. Thank God for their weekend show! I don't know what I would do without their witty comments about the lifestyles of the rich and the famous. So addictive!

Best Talk Show Host:
Wendy Williams
Ms. Wendy if you're reading this, how you doin! I LOVE Wendy Williams. I'm so glad her show has taken off like it has because she's really the best interviewer out there. Once Oprah's show goes off the air, there's no doubt in my mind that all eyes will be on Wendy.


Best Drama:
Boardwalk Empire
For those of you addicted to The Great Gatsby, I dare you to watch Boardwalk Empire and not become instantly addicted. This show proves what us Gatsby guys and dolls already knew, the Roaring 20s are totally where it's at!

Best Actor in a Drama:
Scott Caan in Hawaii Five-0
Dear Scott Caan,
Thank your agent for getting you this gig.
xoxo,
GRAE
P.S. Book 'em Danno!

Best Actress in a Drama:
Kelly Macdonald in Boardwalk Empire
I double dog dare you to watch Boardwalk Empire and not become drawn to the storyline between Margaret Schroeder and Nucky Thomspon. Can't do it, can you.

Best Dramady:
How to Make It in America
Who doesn't love watching 20somethings run around NYC for work and play? My friend and I are obsessed with this show, and apparently so are you GRAE New York readers! My episode recaps and "New York City Eats Its Young" t-shirt post are some of the most popular GNY posts for 2010. I feel like I've made it in America! Thank you!

Best Comedy:
Raising Hope
For those of you who miss My Name is Earl, tune into Raising Hope. From the very first episode you care about the characters, especially baby Hope (or as her mother originally called her, "Princess Beyoncé").





Best Actor in a Comedy:
Jason Segel in How I Met Your Mother
Since How I Met Your Mother went into syndication, I've been seeing a whole lot more of the show. I used to only pay attention to Barney, but Marshall has really grown on me this year.

Best Actress in a Comedy:
Sofia Vergara in Modern Family
Sofia deserves this award just for attempting to say Shia LaBeouf's name in her thick accent. That was the most epic moment ever!

Best Cancelled Show:
Huge
I love that all the ABC Family shows I like have been cancelled. R.I.P. 10 Things I Hate About You, Ruby & the Rockits, and possibly Greek after season 4's over. Huge sadly must be added to that list. May you live on Hulu forever!

Best Reality Show:
Jersey Shore
This year the Jersey Shore cast showed us they're more than deep tans and catch phrases. They became entrepreneurs with clothing and slipper lines, books (yes books!), supplements, vodka, and commercials. I can't wait to see what's in store for season 3 when they return to the house that made them household names.

Best Reality Competition Show:
So You Think You Can Dance
Seeing as So You Think You Can Dance is the only competition show I watch from beginning to end, they must be doing something right. Oh yeah, people on the show have talent and the judges dish out constructive criticism. American Idol, et al. are you listening?

Best Web Series:
The LXD
I'm a huge fan of web series, and The LXD is by far my favorite. Jon Chu and the LXD crew deliver some of the coolest story lines and dance numbers you've ever seen. They've definitely "stepped up" the online series game with this one!





FILM

Best Comedy:
Easy A
As I write this, I am simultaneously watching Easy A. I think that says it all.





Best Actress in a Comedy:
Emma Stone in Easy A
Not since Lindsay Lohan's role in Mean Girls has there been a female comedic lead that really captivated my interest. Then along came Emma Stone as Olive with her pop culture-infused witty banter and stellar comedic timing. I'm totally going to be Olive for Halloween next year and spew out lines like, "I believe so if I was a Gossip Girl in Sweet Valley with traveling pants." Hopefully I can be half as good as Emma.

Best Actor in a Comedy:
Justin Timberlake in The Social Network
Okay, so The Social Network wasn't a comedy. Sue me. I didn't see any standout male leads in any comedy this year, so just go with me here. The first part of The Social Network bored me and I almost fell asleep. Suddenly Justin Timberlake appeared on the screen with enough charisma and excitement for a Twitter and YouTube sequel. I can't think of a comedic moment in the movie that didn't involve his character. Thank you Mr. JT. Now get back to the recording studio. I need another album by 2012.

Best Drama:
Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
I spent Christmas weekend watching this film. From beginning to end I thought the storyline and performances were on point. (And no, I'm not just saying that because Shia's in this.) Since I never saw the first Wall Street, I have nothing to compare it to. To me it totally stood on its own which is often rare for a sequel.

Best Actor in a Drama:
Andrew Garfield - The Social Network
Aah the Facebook movie. Whoever thought this would ever get made? Not this girl, but I hope a Twitter sequel is next. I know how great everyone says Jesse Eisenberg and Justin Timberlake were in the film, but Andrew Garfield is the guy that caught my attention. He was awesome as the ousted Facebook co-creator.





Best Actress in a Drama:
Mila Kunis - Black Swan
I know Natalie Portman's the star of Black Swan, but if you read my review of the film last week, you know I was rooting for Mila's Lily. If they want to make a sequel with just her character, I want to be in it because you know every rebel ballerina needs a blogger/former ballerina sidekick.

Best Action Film:
Inception
This movie became a cult classic as soon as it hit theatres with its sci-fi world of dream levels. I won't give anything away to those of you who haven't seen it yet (because frankly it's too damn confusing to explain). Just make sure you pay attention, and you won't get lost. (I hope.)

Best Actor in an Action Film:
Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Inception
JGL, where do I begin? Last year he made us fall for him in 500 Days (of Summer). This year he had hands-down the best fight scene in Inception. Boy has range, and I'm glad people are starting to take notice. (Just remember your indie roots hun. Signed my BFF.)

Best Actress in an Action Film:
Marion Cotillard in Inception
Marion was electric in Inception. Every time she appeared I didn't know if I wanted to embrace her or run for my freakin' life!

Best Animated Film:
Despicable Me
This story about 3 orphan girls who get adopted by a criminal is actually heartwarming. You'll totally fall in love with the girls. Agnes is my hero!





Best Dance Film:
Step Up 3D
I was so excited when I found out Step Up 3D was being released on my birthday. I totally dragged my friends to the theater dressed like I should have been an extra in the movie. (Yes, I'm that girl.) Jon Chu knows how to go big when he adds to a series, and I can only hope there's a Step Up 4 in the works so he can make me the female lead (or at least an extra).

Best Documentary:
Catfish
When I first saw the trailer for Catfish I didn't know if it was real or fiction. Thankfully all my questions were answered when I saw it. I'm totally disappointed that the film wasn't included on the Oscars' documentary short list, but hold your heads up boys, you've got yourself a GRAE Award!

SPORTS

Best Epic Win:
Shaun White Wins His 2nd Gold at the 2010 Winter Olympics
When Shaun stepped up to the halfpipe everyone wandered if he could win his 2nd Olympic gold medal. I knew he had it in him, but he totally surprised me when he busted out his new 1260 Double McTwist. Now that was the epic moment of the year my friends!


The GRAE Awards have officially come to a close. Did you like my choices? Do you have some ideas of your own? Discuss amongst yourselves in the comments section as we say "the end" to 2010! Until next year, this is GRAE signing off.

No comments: