18 January 2012

The Garbage Percussion Workshop


Remember when you were a kid and coffee cans were the perfect drum set? Recently singer-songwriter Annie Dinerman and percussionist Rex Benincasa took this concept to Dartmouth College. They showed the students there how to turn "garbage"  into percussion instruments. Take a look.




Currently the Garbage Percussion Workshop is being presented at colleges, but Annie and Rex are developing another program for grades K-12. I think this is a great idea. When I was in preschool, one of my favorite class projects was making drums out of recycled coffee cans. It's a fun way to teach kids about the importance of repurposing materials we already have. 

Visit Annie's blog to listen to One Planet at a Time. It's almost hard to believe that the music was created with plastic bags, glass and plastic bottles, a pill bottle filled with pistachio shells, a pizza box, a Snapple cap, congas made from tin cans, and timbales made from pizza sauce cans. Listen to the song and tell me what you think. If I didn't mention what materials were used for the sounds, would you have noticed? Didn't think so.

3 comments:

Cher said...

Going to pass on this info to my friends with children.

Scotch Corduroy said...

I just read your comment!
Oh no! you don't like the smell of smoke? This might sound a little weird, but ... I think I've romanticized the cigarette a little to much haha. I like the accent it creates in a photograph as a work of art. :)

Shari B said...

Lol!