25 June 2012

GRAE's Guide to Summer 2012: Channel Surfing

When it comes to summer shows I like them full of laughs, drama, and six packs. Lucky for me, most of the following 9 shows have all three.

Mob Wives Chicago


Before Mob Wives Chicago, I had never seen an episode of Mob Wives. Yes, I enjoy Big Ang in interviews, but I have no clue who the rest of the women are. Instead of jumping in after 2 seasons, I can just start from the beginning with Mob Wives Chicago. After reading The Flappers: Vixen by Jillian Larkin, I’m totally into the whole Chicago mob culture. I watched the Mob Wives pilot last week thanks to an iTunes preview, and the storyline I’m concerned with the most is Nora’s. She was never given the chance to bury her father Frank "The German" Schweihs. Now she’s back in town and trying to put the pieces together. I hope she gets the closure she needs. Mob Wives Chicago airs on VH1 on Sundays at 8 p.m.

Bunheads


I wasn’t sure if I wanted to get involved in another “teen” drama, but any show with ballerinas and Dirty Dancing alumni is fine by me (hey, Kelly Bishop, don’t put any of your ballerinas in the corner). Sutton Foster is perfectly cast as the Vegas showgirl who unexpectedly finds herself married in a small California town. I also have to follow the storyline for "Boo", a ballerina with a lot of heart who struggles with her weight. As a girl who quit ballet after a term and a half out of (now-regrettable) boredom, I can’t help but root for her.

White Collar


When he’s not taking it off for the ladies in Magic Mike, Matt Bomer’s kicking off season 4 of White Collar on the run from the Feds. What will become of Neil, how will Peter handle it, and how Mozzie get Neil out of this mess? All those questions will be answered Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on USA Network starting on July 10th.

Covert Affairs


I’ve been obsessed with Piper Perabo ever since she played bartending beauty Violet in Coyote Ugly. (Sidenote: Piper now has a restaurant in SoHo called Jack's Wife Freda.) When season 2 ended, Annie was about to tell Auggie she liked him when he handed her the keys to the dream car he’ll never get to drive and she kept her mouth shut. Will she finally admit her feelings this season? I sure hope so. I need a couple camera shots of Auggie’s six pack to get me through the summer. Season 3 kicks off on USA Network July 10th at 10 p.m.

Awkward


Who doesn’t have awkward moments in high school? If you’re Jenna Hamilton, your awkward moments are stuff of legend. When we last left our charming leading lady, Jenna found out her mother was the one who wrote the mysterious note that started it all. As season 2 commences, will Jenna forgive mommy dearest? Only time will tell. Starting on June 28th, season 2 of Awkward airs every Thursday on MTV at 10:30 p.m.

Jane By Design


From Jane’s quirkiness to India’s bitterness to Billy’s hotness, the second half of Jane By Design’s first season just keeps getting better. I can’t wait for Teri Hatcher to drop in as Jane’s long-lost mother. So scandalous! Jane By Design airs on ABC Family every Tuesday at 9 p.m.

Pretty Little Liars


This season our favorite Pretty Little Liars have got their #Agame on. Don’t they always? I don’t know how the writers are able to keep us so caught up in all the suspense. It’s really well done. My only wish is they show Tyler Blackburn more, preferably shirtless. What? Keegan Allen's six pack can't hog all the camera time, and it’s not like I’m asking for them to use GRAE New York as a clue. Tune into PLL on ABC Family every Tuesday at 8 p.m.

Single Ladies


When I heard that Stacey Dash wasn’t returning for season 2 of Single Ladies, I was pissed. She was the only reason I had watched the show in the first place, and by default she played my fave character. In her place we now have Denise Vasi as Raquel, a sassy character I can actually relate to. After years of playing it safe and doing what her parents wanted, Raquel is ready to get her independent business woman on. Aren’t we all? Raquel’s likeability certainly isn’t hurt by her hookup with Cuban hottie William Levy. So spicy! Check out Single Ladies on VH1 every Monday at 9 p.m.

So You Think You Can Dance


I can’t believe So You Think You Can Dance is already in its 9th season! I sort of missed season 8 because of my work schedule last summer, so this year I’m not missing a step. Right now the show’s focusing on Vegas Week, and I’m pulling for Cyrus and Alexa to make it to the top 20. Those 2 are unreal, especially Cyrus. I hope Adam Shankman snatches him up for Step Up 5 (because you know there’ll be one). So You Think You Can Dance airs on FOX each Wednesday at 8 p.m., and the results show airs on Thursdays.

No comments: