23 June 2012

GRAE's Guide to Summer 2012: Filmstrip

Maybe it’s the heat that makes me delusional, but when it comes to summer movies I like them indie and I like them campy. This year, 4 movies fit that bill.

Magic Mike



Whose idea was it to browse through People’s Sexiest Men Alive issues to cast a movie about male strippers? That person will hereby be known as a genius on GRAE New York. Channing Tatum, Joe Manganiello, Matt Bomer, Adam Rodriguez, Matthew McConaughey, and Alex Pettyfer all appear on the big screen in various states of undress. I’m sure many girls night out and bachelorette parties will revolve around the June 29th release date.

Step Up Revolution


The fourth Step Up movie (yes, the fourth), is taking the series to the mean streets of South Beach. If you’re like me, you’re uber-excited to see So You Think You Can Dance alums like Kathryn McCormick, Phillip Chbeeb, and Stephen "Twitch" Boss pop-lock-and-droppin’ it in Miami. I hear Adam Sevani, a.k.a. Moose, will also be making a comeback. Who else is wondering if Flo Rida will be doing an epic theme song for this one too? Step Up Revolution hits the big screen on July 27th and you know I’ll be there.

2 Days in New York


I've been obsessed with Julie Delpy ever since I saw her alongside Ethan Hawke in 2004's Before Sunset. I can't wait to see her and Chris Rock in 2 Days in New York, an indie she not only wrote and stars in, but directed. Yes, Delpy's a triple threat and a brilliant one at that. I hope she and Hawke find time this summer to write the follow-up to Before Sunset as she gears up for the August 10th release of 2 Days in New York.  

Pitch Perfect


For those of you who miss Glee in the summer months and/or wish you sang in a college chorus, there’s a movie for you. It’s called Pitch Perfect, and somehow Anna Kendrick is the lead actress. Wasn’t she in a movie with Clooney that was nominated for multiple Oscars? Shouldn’t she be in anything but this, preferably a Woody Allen film, right now? Anyway, I’m not complaining (too much). The girl can sing, and I can’t wait to see her break it down to Blackstreet’s No Diggity. So random, but that’s how I like ‘em. Pitch Perfect comes out on October 5th which technically makes this a fall release, but I'm sure there'll be some lingering summer heat in the atmosphere.

3 comments:

crush'ed said...

I am so ready for Magic Mike to premiere!!! I want to see it right now! I agree, who ever thought of this plot and cast--god bless them.

GRAE NewYork said...

Right! Pure genious. Time to plan my girls night out, lol.

Thanks for commenting!!

- Shari

Blogger said...

I have just installed iStripper, and now I enjoy having the sexiest virtual strippers stripping on my taskbar.