24 June 2012

GRAE's Guide to Summer 2012: Well Read

There’s nothing like settling down with a good book at the park, at the beach, or on the downtown 6 train. Here a couple of good reads you may want to add to your booklist this summer.

Fifty Shades, the trilogy by E.L. James


Fifty Shades of Grey. Fifty Shades Darker. Fifty Shades Freed. Yes, yours truly read all three in a week and a half. Scandalous right? Well, I don’t think so. I was more into the recent grad trying to sort her life out storyline than the “scandalous” sex scenes the media and housewives of America keep focusing on. If you’re too embarrassed to whip these books out in public, that’s what the Nook, Kindle, and iPad are for.

The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson


Since The Rum Diary is now a movie with newly-single Johnny Depp, I felt the need to read the book that started it all before watching the movie (which I still haven’t seen). Now I’m obsessed with Hunter S. Thompson’s gonzo style, and I have Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Hell's Angels: The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs, on my must-read list.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald


If you ask me what my favorite book is, I’ll reply The Great Gatsby without hesitation. I first read it in high school, and I instantly fell in love with the Roaring 20s. Over the years I forgot why I loved Gatsby so much and with the movie remake due this Christmas, I figured now was as good a time as any to reread it. I think it’s Fitzgerald’s modern writing style mixed with the narrator’s assertiveness about the crowd around him that make this an enjoyable read for me. (Sidenote: This is the first book I’ve ever reread. Yes, EVER.)

The Drunk Diet: How I Lost 40 Pounds ... Wasted: A Memoir by Lüc Carl


Yes, I read a book by GaGa’s ex. No, it’s not about GaGa or binge-drinking to lose weight. The Drunk Diet gives us a look into how Lüc Carl became the sexy rock n’ rolla he is today. Lüc’s stories are so in your face and a total kick in the ass if you’re looking to drop your crappy diet this summer. Lüc’s very upfront about how he incorporated healthier habits into his life slowly, but surely. I like how he breaks everything down for the readers and compares his body to a hot rod. I follow Lüc on Twitter now, and the dude's a machine.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling


I don’t watch The Office, but from the handful of interviews I’ve seen and read with Mindy Kaling, I instantly love her. She’s so charming, and I’m so excited she has her own show on FOX this fall. Of course I had to read her autobiography. Her anecdotes about her weight, her family, and her career are hilarious. This is a great light read if you’re looking for a laugh this summer.

Bossypants by Tina Fey


I feel like I’m the only one who hasn’t read Tina Fey’s book yet, which is why I’m currently 70 pages in and loving it! Tina’s so witty, something I learned quickly from her SNL heydays. I miss when she was their head writer there. I’m still holding out hope she’ll return to the helm once again when 30 Rock’s over next season. A girl can dream.

No comments: